zzz i don't care if i cannot fold it anymore... seriously.
ok painting that can never go wrong tutorial!
and yes you do need it if you're painting repeated stuff... like 20 dragons (5 on each side * 2 fans).
1) so template first (draw before that of course and cut them out)
here i have 3 different types of dragons.
2) template them on the mahjong paper or whatever paper you have (used mahjong since it's the largest piece of paper you'll ever find that's cheap!)
3) paint a gold base (doesn't even matter if you paint it out of the lines you've drawn since you'll cut them out later. i figured.. even if you did paint them out of line on the actual object, it won't matter in the end cos it'll look like it 'radiates'!
4) i used this crayon which is suitable for all kinds of surfaces. brown outlined the dragons and all the stripes or stuff you'll need. doesn't matter if it's drawn out of line, again.
5) yellow outline all the brown parts to give a little gradient and tone down the harsh brown color.
6) use water to go over all the lines you've drawn! shade some gradients as you see fit and it should be ok.
7) what's left is just to cut those dragons out...
sorry my dragon drawing is not very realistic hahahahah